Explore Zika Risk Factors
Travel health notices have been distributed to inform travelers about the current health issues relating to specific destinations. The following factors may affect travelers’ health and determine the level of risk in certain areas:
- Precipitation and rainfall
- Human travel patterns and more
IEM's interactive maps allow you to explore the different factors that affect Zika transmission.For optimal viewing, we recommend using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, and maximizing your browser window before clicking below.
Explore Interactive Zika Maps
How IEM Can Help with Zika
At IEM, we are committed to building safe, secure, and resilient communities. Our epidemiologists, public health experts, emergency planners, GIS specialists, and public outreach specialists can assist federal, state, and local agencies in addressing the Zika outbreak. Read more about how IEM can help with Zika or click the icons below.
On CBS’s 60 Minutes the country’s top scientists talk about the fight against Zika and the U.S. government’s efforts to control it. IEM scientist, Dr. Jenn Kruk, comments on the lack of attention and general dismissal the virus gets from the majority of people who aren’t directly impacted.
Zika Classified as an STD: What You Need to Know
Unlike other vector-borne diseases such as dengue, yellow fever, and chikungunya, Zika can be spread through the traditional mosquito bite and through sexual transmission.
Zika: Protecting Yourself Protects Those around You
Understanding what makes Zika a public health issue will help people appreciate how their individual actions can help contain the spread of Zika.
All Mosquitoes are Not the Same When it Comes to Zika
By now, we all know that Zika virus can be spread to humans through pesky mosquito bites. But why should we care only about specific mosquitoes? Aren’t all mosquitoes the same?
Zika in the News
- Planning Spring Break? CDC Text Service Provides Zika Updates To Travelers – March 16 2017, State of Delaware News
- Zika Warning Is Issued Over Sperm Banks in the Miami Area – March 13 2017, The New York Times
- Zika virus linked to heart trouble in some adults – March 10 2017, CBS News
- OHSU researchers unravel mysteries of Zika virus – March 9 2017, The Oregonian
- 5 Zika Health Problems Experts Say Could Affect Anyone – March 9 2017, TIME
- Warmer weather could bring fresh Zika misery – March 8 2017, New Scientist